How attending NBTS events provides more than fundraising
Dr. Anders Persson, PhD, has been involved in the neuro-oncolgy field since 2003. His work has been funded by NBTS and has been instrumental in the study of gliomas. Did you wonder where his inspiration to carry on his work comes from? It was from interacting with members of the brain tumor community at local fundraising events.
Dr. Persson’s, who is a grantee of NBTS’ Oligodendroglioma Research Fund, began to address his work with renewed vigor after attending an NBTS-hosted meeting with patients and caregivers. Then, a year a later, he participated in his first brain tumor fundraising event: the Bay Area Brain Tumor Walk.
“There was especially one touching story from a mother that had to run ahead of us because she needed to take a flight to another city because her son was getting chemo that same day.”
The experience became one he shared with other researchers and they began to attend brain tumor fundraising events as well, getting a chance to meet the community that they work on behalf of, but rarely get to see in this light. Inspired by your stories, they have faces to put toward their research. When you attend a brain tumor fundraising event, you’re not just helping to raise money and profile to the disease, you’re supporting the researchers looking for a cure.
Here are the current listed NBTS Walks, Races, and Rides for 2016 with more on the way:
- Connecticut Brain Freeze – Sunday, March 6, 2016
- Charlotte Brain Tumor Race – Saturday, April 2, 2016
- Central New Jersey Brain Tumor Walk – Saturday, April 2, 2016
- Delaware Brain Tumor Walk – Saturday, April 23, 2016
- Race for Hope Washington DC – Sunday, May 1, 2016
- San Diego Brain Tumor Walk – Saturday, May 14, 2016
- Team Billy Ride and Walk for Research – Sunday, May 15, 2016
- Boston Brain Tumor Ride – Sunday, May 15, 2016
- Bay Area Brain Tumor Walk – Saturday, May 21, 2016
- Charleston Brain Tumor Walk – Saturday, May 21, 2016
- Denver Brain Tumor Walk – Saturday, June 4, 2016
- New York City Brain Tumor Walk – Saturday, June 25, 2016
- Portland Brain Tumor Walk – Sunday, August 7, 2016
- Baltimore Brain Tumor Walk – Saturday, August 20, 2016
- Silicon Valley Brain Tumor Walk – Saturday, September 10, 2016*
- Orange County Brain Tumor Walk – Saturday, September 17, 2016
- Long Island Brain Tumor Walk – Saturday, September 17, 2016*
- Race for Hope Philadelphia – Sunday, October 2, 2016*
- Dallas/Fort Worth Brain Tumor Walk – Saturday, November 12, 2016*
- Phoenix Brain Tumor Walk – Sunday, December 4, 2016*
- Boston Brain Tumor Walk – TBD*
- Los Angeles Brain Tumor Walk – TBD*
We will be updating this list with other walks, races and rides as their registration pages open.
Don’t see your state here? You can Find or Start a community brain tumor fundraising event here.
*Registration link coming soon.